Creating or redesigning a website for your business is good, but if you don’t complement these efforts with search engine optimization (SEO), your investment will go to waste. A beautiful website without visitors is like a business without customers…
Several firms are intimidated by the amount of information available online regarding SEO and unfortunately, most of the time, if they do not have the help of a consultant or an SEO expert, they abandon this aspect of their business, which is a big mistake!
To better understand, read: How much does a website cost?
Let’s take a look at some basic solutions to get your website’s SEO up and running smoothly and to increase traffic. With our SEO guide, you will be able to increase the position of your site in Google’s search results.
Throughout this blog, I will talk about Keyword (s). It’s important to understand what a keyword is.
Keyword Definition: A keyword is a word that describes the content of your page. This is the word that people search on the internet. A keyword can consist of several words like “Beef Bourguignon Recipe” or a single word like “Potato”. This is the search term that you will want to rank with for a certain page of your site.
1. Basics of SEO
I like to explain that SEO consists of a set of three distinct parts:
Technical SEO can be defined as the study and improvement of the structure of your website. What we are talking about here are the mechanics of the domain (structured data). Can Google or Bing read your site, analyze each page and present it to users? Technical SEO is like the engine of your car. The motor won’t dictate who will win the race but with engine failures, you will not go far…
You need to make sure that your site is accessible to Google and that the search engine indexes the majority of your pages. To verify if Google indexed your site, type the following text in your search bar and do the following search:
Google will clearly tell you what pages are indexed for your domain. We see that for ProStar SEO, Google has indexed 20 pages.
In order to discover the technical errors that are on your site, we offer you a free technical audit on our homepage. It will only take you 30 seconds to get an overview of the health of your domain.
3. Off-site Optimization (Link Building)
The pet peeve of many is the creation of external links. This is one of the most debated SEO strategies. Why do you want to have external sites that point to yours? Because for Google, the more others talk about you, the more you are a leader in your field.
The goal of the strategy is to have other companies add links to your site on their own website (backlinks).
In SEO, the more backlinks you have, the more likely you are to be ranked high in Google’s index.
Getting links with keyword anchor text will help you rank specifically on related keywords. For example, having text like this in an external blog: In order to increase your SEO, you should do business with an SEO agency.
All external links are not created equal, you must search for sites that mention your website ‘’normally’’. If you’re a dentist from Montreal and you receive hundreds of external links from India, it is very likely that, in the best of cases, Google will ignore them. It sometimes even happens that Google decides to deindex your site, which means that no one will be able to find your domain online … trust me, you do not want that!
The majority of websites are struggling to generate enough organic links to improve their position in Google’s search results, that’s why link building is such a popular strategy. In order to create quality links, you can use the following techniques:
- Send blog submissions to popular sites in your area. Normally, you write a quality blog and instead of publishing it on your own site, you publish it on an external site. This will give you a link to your website.
- Ask your customers if they would like to mention your services on their pages.
- Create local search profiles and social network profiles. These links are not always taken into account in search rankings, but they can attract clicks and increase the traffic on your website.
- Submit your website to different directories such as yellow pages or invest in press releases. Be sure to avoid poor quality directories that are not related to your industry.
- Create quality content worthy of a link.
- Personally, we acquired quality backlinks on MiumMium.com when launching the company by communicating with newspapers, radio, television and several news websites. This allowed us to acquire links from 98.5 FM Montreal (Paul Arcand), Ici Radio Canada, Radio Canada Telévision, The Journal of Montreal, The Huffington Post, and many others. It’s the quality of these external links that has allowed us to climb to the top of the pages of Google’s search results.